THE DOCTORS COMPANY FOUNDATION YOUNG PHYSICIANS PATIENT SAFETY AWARD Conferred in Partnership with the Lucian Leape Institute
at the National Safety Patient Safety Foundation
Congratulations to the 2013 Awardees
Read the press release: Young Physicians Patient Safety Award Winners Announced by the Doctors Company Foundation and the Lucian Leape Institute at NPSF.
Read the essays.
Young Physicians Award Criteria:
The Doctors Company Foundation in partnership with the Lucian Leape Institute at the National Patient Safety Foundation presents The Doctors Company Foundation Young Physicians Patient Safety Award — an award to recognize young physicians for their deep personal insight into the significance of patient safety work. Individuals are invited to submit essays that will be judged by a panel identified by NPSF. Six winners of this prestigious award will be selected and will receive $5,000 + registration and travel expenses to the NPSF Annual Congress.
- As of June 2012 an applicant must be either a 3rd- or 4th-year medical student or a 1st-year resident in a hospital setting
- Award is for the best essay on the most instructional patient safety event that was a personal transformational experience during the 3rd or 4th clinical year in medical school or 1st year in residency
- Award will be conferred by The Doctors Company Foundation in partnership with the Lucian Leape Institute at the National Patient Safety Foundation
- Essays will be judged and winners selected by the NPSF review committee, all review committee decisions are final
- Award recipients will be announced at the annual NPSF Patient Safety Congress, May 8-10, 2013, Hyatt Regency Hotel, New Orleans, LA
- Congress registration and travel expenses will be covered for award recipients
In 500 to 1,000 words describe the most instructional patient safety event you have experienced, one that resulted in a personal transformation. The essay should have an emotional impact on the reader and provide a lesson that is transferable to other medical students and medical professionals. Please explain how the event impacted your learning and growth and how the experience will help you to provide the safest care to your current and future patients. You must include examples of how to improve any processes that led up to the patient safety event and how you will work to ensure that the changes are implemented.
Description of relevant events for the essay includes any patient safety event. A patient safety event is a process or an act of omission or commission that results in hazardous health care conditions and/or unintended harm to the patient. The event is often a consequence of a system failure or error. Examples include medication-related errors, communication errors, health care-associated infections, medical record errors, identification errors, and delays in responding to critical diagnostics.